Wow! We think that’s going to be your reaction to this latest release. Even though the dev team here at AVAIL were calling this a “hardening block” of work, the impact on you and your team’s workflow is tremendous.
Both the AVAIL Desktop and AVAIL Browser for Revit updates are available here – https://www.getavail.com/Download
We’re excited to share the highlights with you …
Revit Parameter Harvesting!
You can now automatically harvest Revit Parameters as Tags in AVAIL! This is unbelievably cool if one of your primary use-cases for AVAIL is managing your Revit-related content. You can now define any Revit Parameter to automatically become a Tag when indexing .rfa, .rte, .rvt and .rft files. It’s as easy as…
Once this is configured, every Revit Family and Project file indexed into AVAIL will automatically have a Revit Version, Revit Category, Host, and File Type Tag.
You’ll find a configurable RevitTagGenerator.xml file located at %ProgramData%\AVAIL\addins. Simply open the file with a text editor like Notepad to edit. There’s a full set of instructions inside the file.
The great news is this was implemented under a new AVAIL “plug-in” architecture for file-type handlers. We’ll be adding data harvesting capabilities for other file types. Be sure to let us know what which ones should be on the top of our list.
AVAIL Browser for Revit 3.1.1 Update
The new AVAIL Browser for Revit is now out of beta. Besides a gorgeous visual overhaul there are several reasons you’ll want to grab this update ASAP…
- Support for beautiful new thumbnails for all your Details and Sheets that makes browsing your Revit Container Project files sing
- New Project Mode (for Team and Enterprise customers) provides a visually stunning new way to browse the content “in” your Revit Projects.
- Support for Nested Families
- Ability to selectively display only certain content from an RVT file (This is an incredibly powerful feature for publishing System Families and Details – register for the upcoming webinar for more details.)
Note: You have control over the roll-out of these new features across your enterprise here – https://www.getavail.com/Manage/Settings
AVAIL Desktop (General Speed and Responsiveness)
- You should see improvements to the startup speed of the AVAIL Desktop app
- We made some great improvements to scrolling in the AVAIL Desktop app. Way to go Zach!
- If you have as many Channels as I do you probably avoid clicking Browse Channels. You’ll be happier now 😊
Tip: Did you know you can Ctrl-scroll to adjust thumbnail sizes in AVAIL Desktop?
Publishers (We didn’t forget about you)
- Now you can see what additional Channels a piece of content exists in before making edits. Look in the Properties Panel just above the Tags list.
- You can now index URLs directly into an AVAIL Channel. This is an awesome new feature. Just drag and drop a URL from your browser directly onto an AVAIL Channel. This is great for linking to intranet locations or manufacturer information on a website.
- We’ve made it easier to copy Tag Values from Properties Panel.
Stream is a game-changer for the AEC industry. AVAIL Stream means you no longer need to manually publish content, the bane of content management solutions everywhere!
We’re continuing to roll stream out to AVAIL Enterprise customers. The latest release has knocked out several in-the-wild obstacles we uncovered earlier this year.
If you’re and AVAIL Enterprise customer and not on the Stream install list email email@example.com to start the process.
We made a major overhaul to the way AVAIL reports analytics data providing you with even more granular insights into what and how people are using content in AVAIL and your Revit Projects.
AVAIL now takes advantage of what are called “Custom Dimensions” in Google Analytics but it requires you to set them up in your account ☹. There’s 20 of them but you only have to do this once 😊. Do it today because without them you’re not capturing some of your most important data.
A full set of instructions can be found in the new AVAIL Analytics Resources – Getting Started Guide here – https://www.getavail.com/Manage/Analytics
As you can see, we packed a lot into this release. We’ll be hosting a couple of upcoming webinars for a little deeper dive. Join us – https://info.getavail.com/webinars